Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer fun, Dodgers roll

Chavez Ravine, CA
On a night that saw LA skipper Joe Torre pass the great Sparky Anderson for fifth place all-time in the wins column with 2,195 W's, Dodger veteran Randy Wolf saw himself get his 10th no decision of the year. Torre broke the tie with George Lee "sparky" Anderson and now trails Connie Mack (3,731), Tony La Russa (2,497) and Bobby Cox (2,357). La Russa, Cox, and Torre are all still active managers, and you may note the seemingly untouchable record of Connie Mack came with a losing record to boot. After the game Torre said,
"If you told me a dozen years ago I'd be in this rarefied air, I'd say you're full of baloney. I started out way under .500 when I took over the Yankees. I thank George Steinbrenner for putting me in this position. I've admired Sparky for years. I'm proud to be in that company."
Humble words from the man many in LA just know as the Bigelow Tea drinking former Yankee. As a player Joe was a 9x All-Star, MVP and Gold-Glove winner with a career .297 average and 252 HR's. As manager Mr. Torre has lifted the World Series trophy four times (all with the Yankees) and been a 2x AL Manager of the Year (96,98).

Randy Wolf went strong again for the Dodgers, investing 87 pitches in 6 innings he allowed only one run by the Athletics. For his efforts, he earned his 10th no decision on the year. Two other Dodgers putting their respective two cents in came out with more to show for it. Both relievers Brent Leach and Ramon Troncoso pitched exactly two pitches, and each had the only batter they faced ground into double plays. For their efforts, Leach got the win, and Troncoso recorded the save. Despite his 3-2 record, Wolf leads the team in starts and innings pitched, on pace to go 225 strong this season. Wolf also has a .329 ERA and the Dodgers have won 10 of 15 games he's started, including 7 of his last 8 outings. 

Orlando Hudson had a third inning homer over the center field fence (5) and Juan Pierre, who continues to play spectacular baseball in the absence of suspended outfielder Manny Ramirez added an RBI single later the game. As for me, I had the time of my life last night. For me, I took in the game from a different vantage point than usual. I sat in the very first row of the Dodgers premium Dugout club seats just over the A's dugout. It was one of those special feelings that makes you feel like a child all over again. I felt like a fly on the wall, so close to the action I could hear the Velcro ripping each time an A's batter secretly adjusted his gloves in preparation for his turn at the plate. When sitting that near the like of a Jason Giambi, I was almost inclined to run back upstairs to the press box after noticing his home run blasting forearms are possibly twice the size of my (I used to think athletic) writers biceps. We each have our own dragons to slay, for tonight the Dodgers pitching got the better of Giambi, 0 for 3 with a walk. You're reading this, so it looks like my bantam biceps came out victorious. I love baseball, I'll stick to writing and I'm sure Giambi will be back in highlight form soon. 




No comments:

Post a Comment